Monday, January 31, 2011

Perspectives: 20/20 With a Cockney Accent

I recently returned to my home town, Oak Grove, LA, for a funeral. No, not at all a good reason to return, but I really only passed through the town. When I go back home, my mind goes back to when I lived there and was a very active part of the community with all the emotions that are attached. Some are good. Great, even. And some, well, they still sting.

On this last trip to Oak Grove, I thought about high school. My glory days! I can still remember the feeling I would get walking down the halls of my high school. It reminds me of the "Cheers" sitcom theme song..."Where everybody knows your name..." And everybody DID know everybody's name. We were a small school, but we felt larger than life!



I remember homecoming dress-up days. Those were the greatest. Here in this picture is a dear friend of mine, Kim McAllister and myself on "50's Day." What fun! I always had a flair for the "dramatic." I suppose that's where my child gets it, as he is a theater major.

Our school was fortunate to have a couple of ladies that would dedicate hours on top of hours for the Senior class to present a play at the end of the year. I always looked so forward to the day that I was a Senior and could participate in the play as this was the ONLY outlet of this type for students when I was that age. Well, the day came for auditions. I was thrilled and thought I was a shoe in. Afterall, I was the most dramatic person I knew! I auditioned for the maid with a cockney accent. Well, after the sponsors heard all of our auditions, they posted the parts on a piece of paper...*tick tick tick*. I know the suspense is killing you. What part did I get? The lead? The maid? *tick tick tick* Alright already! I'll not keep you in suspense any longer. I did not get any part. WHAT?! Me? I know, right. I did not get to be a part of the Senior play.

I was DEVASTATED. I thought of every conspiracy theory from JFK's assassination to aliens did it! I mean really. No one knew how utterly defeated I felt. I almost sunk into a deep depression because of it, too, but through myself into school work (and college courses). Now, before you start feeling too sorry for me, I'd like to share a different perspective on the Senior play that may enlighten you.

You know it is said that "hindsight is 20/20"? Well, my perspective from 26 years of reevaluating my life is this: I was not very dependable in high school. You see, I had been notorious for starting some things and quitting or not completely meeting all the requirements needed to be a part of the organizations on school campus. For instance, I quit playing basketball. I quit playing softball only to start again only to quit again. I did not go to cheerleader camp (a requirement to be on the squad) for my senior year (I went to college instead) and I was, subsequently, asked to leave the squad. In short, I was not a team player!

Looking back over our lives and taking off the rose colored glasses is difficult. However, I think it is necessary to be honest about our flaws in order to effect a real change in our behaviors. Real, lasting change comes through the strength and grace of God. It is not within ourselves. Sure, intrinsic motivation must be a factor, but only through the Holy Spirit does these changes last.

Two bits of attitude adjustment that I was left with as I pondered these things: God has so graciously given me a son that loves the theater more than I ever could have and is allowing him to pursue his dreams. And, that young lady in the picture with me...she got the part of the maid with the cockney accent and she was PERFECT for that role!*clap clap clap* Worthy of a stand "O"!

No comments:

Post a Comment