Sunday, January 16, 2011

Gratitude is Just Attitude Sprinkled with GRace

I love New Orleans. I get excited about getting to go to the French Market and Cafe Du Monde. It didn't even matter that the only reason I had to go to the Big Easy was because my doctor moved back there. I say he moved back there because he came to Monroe, LA as a result of Katrina. I needed to see my doctor and as a result I was able to smother my face in a pile of powdery, sugary, goodness and a cup of chicory that was just divine, but not before the Lord gave me an attitude adjustment.

You've heard the joke about the person praying..."Lord, today has been a good day. I haven't cussed, lied, cheated, etc., but in a few minutes I'm gonna get up and get ready for work..." Well, wouldn't you know that I woke up and "Relinquished my day to the Lord" (in spiritual grandiosity) only to start having disruptions in my schedule. I'd like to say that I handled the alterations of my day with GRace, but initially, that was not the case.

Oh no, at first I was flustered because I needed to get on the road. A trip to New Orleans is about a five hour drive and I HAD to get beignets at Cafe Du Monde in the French Market, after all. I had no idea they kept Wal-Mart hours. But as I was taking care of the unexpected delay, I overheard a reporter for the Weather Channel mention the conditions in the flooded areas of Australia. Snap! Snap! "Forgive me Lord for my attitude instead of my gratitude."

We got on the road Thursday at about three o'clock. Oh yes. I was still gonna get those French donuts, but not that day. I just thought it would behoove us to go to the hotel, find a restaurant nearby, and get up early and have coffee and beignets before my appointment. So, that's what we did. We went straight to the hotel and the bellhop sent us to the greatest restaurant! New Orleans Hamburger & Seafood. Awesome! Some of the best seafood I have ever eaten in New Orleans. The fried oysters were fresh and perfect in size. They seasoned them to perfection. Can you say succulent? Oh, and the shrimp! Wow! So fresh...I tell you this to say, that while we were enjoying this wonderful meal, I got sick. We got all of our food to go and headed back to the hotel. I was bummed. When we got back to the hotel, the automatic door on my van wouldn't close. Mom man-handled the door enough that it closed MOST of the way. I just laid hands on the van, prayed, and went straight to bed. As I lay there in some pretty intense pain, I was "poor, pitiful me" until I thought about the warm, plush bed God had provided. Again...Snap! Snap! Gratitude, not attitude!

So again, Friday, I got up and "Relinquished the day to the Lord." It was not my day to begin with, but I just needed to remind myself. The door to the van, you ask? Well, it worked. Beignets? Got 'em! Doctor's appointment? Made it! End of story? Not hardly!

A friend of mine told me to go to Haydel's Bakery and get a king cake for Mardi Gras. So, I went on a wild king cake chase and rear-ended a young lady who subsequently bumped into the guy in front of her. Yep, the ol' domino effect. No one was injured and their vehicles had minor damage (my van had a bit more). Guess what! I had such an attitude of GRatitude!

Adopting GRatitude as your modus operandi doesn't happen automatically. It isn't our nature to find pearls in pain and perils, but God's GRace is sufficient for us in all of life. He may just have to give you (me) an attitude adjustment so that you (I) can recognize His GRace.

1 comment:

  1. You absolutely crack me up! What a trip! And for the record, you made my mouth water with all that talk of beignets and chickory coffee and king cakes! Drooling here, girlfriend!!

    Glad to know you survived it all!
    d

    ReplyDelete