Saturday, July 10, 2010

Steps

This is one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.
Neil Armstrong


Recently, I decided to drag out my braces and walker to start working on walking "for exercise" again. At one time, I was able to walk quite some distance for a quadriplegic, but then I had a second car accident that crushed my "good leg" and thereby shortening it by about two inches. That was in 2005 and I haven't had the heart or courage to try it again since I lost all the muscle tone and length in my right leg.

I was recently told that standing may help with some seemingly unrelated health problems I've been having for the past few years, so I swallowed my pride/fear and dragged out my gear. I had many fears and questions as my daughter, Gabi, was strapping me to my braces. Before I knew it, tears were stinging my eyes, but Gabi's enthusiasm was contagious and I found myself eager to see what, if anything, I was able to do.

My first time standing was euphoric (or maybe that was all the blood leaving my brain, cannot be sure), but it was a great feeling. I could not stand long because my blood pressure bottomed out, so I plopped back down in my chair. We did it again and again. There were no steps that day, but just standing made me have hope. I allowed five years of fear to keep me from experiencing that hope again. Lesson learned!

The next day I decided to try and take a step. It may not have been a universal "Neil Armstrong" step, but it was a personal "Neil Armstrong" step. The next day I tried to take two steps and did. This has spurred me on to getting physical therapy started again.

The moral (or morale) of this story is to not allow fear to steal the hope that is given to us by God. It is in our weaknesses and even insecurities that God's strength is made perfect. Do not allow fear to steal the hopes and dreams you have for your future. It does not matter what your age or stage in life is; secure your hope in God and He will make a way where there seems to be no way.

No comments:

Post a Comment