Monday, February 15, 2010

Second Flight

Mississippi Methodist Rehabilitation Hospital is one of the best rehabs in the south for spinal cord injuries and I was there...for a minute. Apparently, since I didn't have insurance, they didn't think that was the place for me...until my Aunt Ina put up a LARGE sum of money and my mom and dad put up their property as my "insurance". We all quickly agreed that I needed to be in Louisiana where Medicaid would pay for my rehab, and so, I was airlifted to Northeast Louisiana Rehab Center in Ruston, LA. I'm not positive, but I think I was only their second or third spinal cord injury! Oh well, it turned into a wonderful experience.

The flight to Ruston from Jackson felt like it was from Miami to Seattle. Pain? Oh my word...I was hurting so bad. I was lying on a cot that felt every bit as wide as a 2X4, my arm was in a cast that weighed 30 pounds, and a neck brace that was a foot wide! And...NO PAIN MEDICATION! That was horrific. My precious, precious Mother rode in the helicopter with me and she held my arm up from Jackson to Ruston! No big deal? Well, my mother had had radical surgery in 1985 and does not have a trapezius muscle (among other things). She was in as much pain as I was probably, but that is a mother for you.

My husband and Gabi were still in the hospital in Monroe and I remember the paramedics telling me that we were flying over Monroe. For an instant, I remember thinking, "I want to see my family." I needed to lay eyes on them and see that they were alright, but they did not need to see me. God spared them seeing their mom in such agony! Ches had been discharged and was staying with my dad's brothers and sisters. My dad was staying with Gabi and my husband; just being there for support if nothing else. He came to see me twice while I was in Jackson. The rest of the time he was in Monroe with Gabi until they released her. I am so very thankful for my family. My dad, aunts, and uncles took turns keeping Ches and Gabi while Teddy and I were in the hospital. They were and are a tremendous support system to us.

When we finally arrived in Ruston, the doctor gave me a shot of Valium! Hallelujah! The paramedics on the helicopter with me had called ahead and told them how much pain I was in and the doctor was armed and ready for me! Can you believe they heard me moaning over the whrrr of the helicopter!!! I rested, really rested for the first time that night. I am sure that my mother collapsed as well! The first weekend in Ruston is sketchy for me, because they were very generous to keep me out of pain for a while.

My first helicopter ride took me to a place to get stabilized and my second flight was to take me to a place to grow. Yes..rehab, but I had no idea that my heart and soul were going to be in rehab, as well. I was in Ruston for four months and God "airlifted" my spirit in those four months like I never could have imagined. The real flight was about to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment