Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I Don't Get to Choose "Whosoever"

The Homeless "Home"
16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
John 3:16 (ESV)
(Emphasis added)


I know we all live with some prejudice. It's ugly, but it's real. Recently, I had the most rewarding opportunity to love on my brothers and sisters that are "permanent-abode-dwelling challenged" or as a friend of mine refers to as "urban outdoorsmen (and women)". Our group gathered and we prepared "survival sacks" with light food and hygiene items. Our plan was to go to a specific area where the "homeless" are known to gather and pass out the sacks only to arrive a few minutes too late. The folks that were feeding our "friends" had already finished giving out the plate lunches. The recipients had already sought cover from the rain.

These folks really are a community unto themselves. As you can imagine, there is not much trust for outsiders...and we were outsiders. There we were in our cars and trucks, probably eight total, driving around like a mobile used carlot convoy. When we arrived at our first stop, everyone started piling out of the vehicles carrying the "survival sacks" we had prepared ahead of time. When they saw that we were there to help, they welcomed us into their "home". Their "home"...it appeared to be a garage of sorts with four arched openings on either side. In the summer, they probably welcome the "breeze way" effect, but not so much in the cold, rainy season. They had some furniture sitting inside with some tables. They had made it as homey as they could. Soon, others came walking up and riding bikes. One man asked if we had some work pants which lead me to believe he had some type of employment. Hmmm...some of these men had jobs, but no home. They had just enough to meet immediate needs, but not enough to meet their basic needs. It was a good feeling knowing we were making a small difference for them at least for that day.

The "Mean" Streets
When we finished handing out the bags at this site, one of the guys said, "I know where some other homeless people hang out." So, we all filed in behind him and off the caravan went. He started heading in the opposite direction than I had expected he was going to go. The closer we got to the area that was far too familiar to me, a place I had called "crack town," I started in with my opposition. I thought this area was a part of my past! I never wanted to drive these streets again, never, ever, ever! When we stopped the entourage of vehicles on a street filled with boarded-up houses with "no trespassing" signs posted on them, I had flashbacks of the days I went searching for my loved one on this very street. My distaste for where we had ended up was not a private matter. Oh no! I was vocal about not wanting to be there, until everyone started piling out of the vehicles to meet an elderly lady walking across a vacant lot. In this picture through the rear view mirror, you see our group surrounding this lady with love. She looked scared at first, and I soon figured out why. After our crew gave her several of the bags and some clothing, she went up to one of the boarded-up houses and picked the lock and went in. She thought we were there to "rid" the houses of unwanted inhabitants. My heart broke. Tears stung my eyes as I heard the Lord say, "You do not choose who to love, just love." I was faced with my own prejudices.

We all have unique experiences in life that shape our perspectives. My perspective for one group of homeless as opposed to those in a slightly different section of town was marred by my past experiences, but God's grace is extended to "whosoever." I was grateful for this new experience on the same street. God's grace turned my perspective of prejudice to gratitude. Gratitude? Oh yes, He showed me that I am to love and extend to everyone the same grace that He so freely has given me.

No comments:

Post a Comment